Fourth of July is just around the corner, and that means it's time to start thinking about festive recipes that will be perfect for your holiday celebration. This year, why not try something different in the kitchen and whip up some patriotic-themed herb dishes? From appetizers to desserts, we've got you covered with recipes that are sure to please any crowd.
For appetizers, try our patriotic pesto tartlets or mini caprese skewers. If you're looking for something heartier, entrée options include a festive Fourth of July salad or grilled chicken with a herbed chimichurri sauce. And no holiday meal is complete without a sweet treat! Our favorite patriotic desserts are a patriotic fruit trifle or these star-spangled cookies.
1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
1/2 cup prepared pesto
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to a 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 2-1/2 inch round cutter, cut out 24 circles. Press circles into the cups of a miniature muffin pan.
3. In a small bowl, combine pesto, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
4. Spoon mixture into pastry cups. Brush pastry edges with beaten egg.
5. Bake for 12 minutes, or until pastries are golden brown. Serve warm.
Mini Caprese Skewers:
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) package fresh mozzarella balls, drained
1/4 cup prepared pesto
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
12 wooden skewers
1. If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
3. In a medium bowl, combine cherry tomatoes, mozzarella balls, pesto, salt, and pepper.
4. Thread mixture onto skewers. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly and tomatoes are slightly charred. Garnish with fresh basil leaves before serving.
Herbed Chimichurri Sauce
1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup diced red onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and pulse until finely chopped.
2. Transfer to a bowl or jar, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
3. Serve with grilled meats or vegetables. Enjoy!
Patriotic Fruit Trifle with Herbs
This fruit trifle recipe features the fresh flavor of herbs in both custard and whipped cream. It's a perfect summer dessert!
1 pound fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.)
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (mint, basil, thyme, etc.)
1 (16 ounce) package pound cake, cubed
1 (12 fluid ounce) bottle hard cider or white wine
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups heavy cream, whipped
Additional fresh berries and herbs for garnish
1. In a large bowl, combine the berries, chopped herbs, and cubed pound cake. Pour the hard cider or white wine over the top.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour this mixture over the berry mixture and stir to combine.
3. Pour the trifle into a glass or ceramic baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
4. Just before serving, top the trifle with whipped cream and additional fresh berries and herbs. Serve chilled. Enjoy!
Star-Spangled Cookies with Herbs
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup red, white, and blue sprinkles
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, mixing until just blended. Stir in rosemary, thyme, and sprinkles. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 24 cookies
ICYMI Herbie is the #1 kitchen tool for cooking with herbs!
We hope you enjoyed these patriotic-themed herb recipes. Whether you're looking for something new to try in the kitchen or just want to add a festive touch to your holiday celebrations, these dishes are sure to please. So get cooking and enjoy the Fourth of July!